Thursday, July 3, 2008

Toys Go Out.... by Emily Jenkins*

I love stuffed animals. I love the way they are soft. I love the way sometimes squeak, I love they way that when you chew on them, their stitching comes out, I especially love the way their stuffing can be thrown all over the room while I'm trying to reach that darn squeaker, I....Uhhhh, sorry about that, I got a little too excited. I have wondered what goes through the mind of many of the toys that I own, let alone those that someone else might own.

The book, by Emily Jenkins, follows the adventures of three friends, Lumphy (a stuffed buffalo), Stingray (a stuffed stingray), and Plastic (a red plastic ball). These toys all have their own personalities that range from selfishness, to curiosity, and pessimism. There are six different adventure tales about the three friends and some of the other objects that live around them. The friends are placed in a backpack and begin to wonder where they are going, all of which are an impending doom. One story follows Plastic as she tries to find out exactly what type of thing she is. Another story deals with Lumphy's fear of the washing machine after he gets peanut butter all over himself. Other stories deal with jealousy and the worry of disappointing others. With the help of other friends, Tuk Tuk (a bath towel), Frank (the washing machine) and my favorite, the one eared sheep.

This book was named a "BEST BOOK AWARD" from the Oppenheim Toy Portfolio and a Junior Library Guild Selection. A good way to describe the book is a combination of Toy Story and Winnie the Pooh blended with any cartoon on Nick Jr. or any other cartoon aimed at preschool aged children. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if these adventures are made into a television show at some point. There are several funny parts that made me bark out loud, such as the poor buffalo getting his tail accidentally ripped off and some spots of funny dialog between friends. I really enjoyed Paul O Zelinsky's black and white illustrations. This book would be a very good read aloud to young students while emerging readers will enjoy the quick pace and easy reading of each adventure. With that being said, the book left me with a feeling of disappointment due but I don't know why. Perhaps I had higher expectations of it going in because of all the awards it has earned.
While I think as a whole, there are much better books on the list this year, I could see this being a favorite of many kids in the younger grades, while more intermediate readers might chose to read something else. Some readers may find that toys playing checkers and reading books may be a little far fetched, but heck, what more do they expect from talking toys, bath towels, and washing machines. This book will also be a favorite of many parents and teachers. Again, a great read aloud book. Although there were a lot of good qualities to the book, there was something that made it fall short for me that I just can't put my paw on. Maybe it's the Saturday morning cartoon feel of the book. I am going to give this book:


Now if you'll excuse me, I have a new fluffy sheep that is begging to have it's squeaker ripped out of it.

- The Reading Dachshund

Publisher: Schwartz & Wade
ISBN: 0375836047
Price: $16.95


* 2008 William Allen White Master List - Elementary

No comments: